Today I wanted to try QEMU on IBM’s OpenClient Linux distribution. Unfortunately, I was unable to install a binary package through yum because the default package repositories don’t provide one. So I ended up installing QEMU from the sources.
Getting the sources is easy. To fetch the latest sources (i.e. CVS HEAD), just run:
$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/sources/qemu co qemu
In my case, I wanted version QEMU version 0.9.1, so I did this:
$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:email@example.com:/sources/qemu co -rrelease_0_9_1 qemu
Building the sources is trivial as well. The usual three step process (configure, make, make install) works like a charm. If PREFIX isn’t set, QEMU installs in /usr/local, but I want it in /opt. So here’s what I did:
$ ./configure --prefix=/opt $ make $ sudo make install
Now I had a bunch of QEMU executables in /opt/bin, each one for a different architecture. But I wanted kqemu, the kernel accellerator for QEMU, as well. Through the QEMU home page, I found this site which provides kqemu RPMs for RHEL and Fedora.
For the IBM OpenClient distribution, I had to do this:
$ wget http://dl.atrpms.net/all/kqemu-1.3.0-2.el5.i386.rpm $ wget http://dl.atrpms.net/all/kqemu-kmdl-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5-1.3.0-2.el5.i686.rpm $ sudo rpm -iv kqemu-1.3.0-2.el5.i386.rpm kqemu-kmdl-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5-1.3.0-2.el5.i686.rpm
Finally, in order to actually load the kernel module, I did this:
$ sudo modprobe kqemu
Everything described here is pretty straight forward, but I wanted to make sure I document the installation of the kqemu module somwhere, hence this post.